Fear Hyena.

He never hunts.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Untitled 54

One monsoon morning when he was ten,

Nana was granted his first set of new

Clothes- a vest and a lungi.

After a decade of semi-nakedness

And his father’s over sized rags.

“I laughed and I cried", he is said to have told

His four daughters decades later.

“I wore them once and folded them up for Id”.

His white vest and white blue lined lungi.



One monsoon morning when he was ten,

Dysentery felled Nana’s elder sister

Three fallen teeth and a hundred stories older

They didn’t have the coins for a two meter shroud.

They buried her that rainy day

They buried her in that white-blue dream.

“And I stood in the rain”

Nana is said to have told my ma and her sisters,

“And cried shamelessly”

That white blue-hemmed lungi.




Nana- Maternal grandfather

Lungi or longyi- Long loose skirt worn by men.

No comments:

Post a Comment